Wednesday, November 02, 2005

AL Awards

With the MLB awards upcoming this week, here are my predictions. I'm only doing the AL b/c who really cares about the NL? By the way, my boy Derek Jeter won his second straight Gold Glove.
AL Rookie: I think Robby Cano has a strong case with .297/14/62 but alot of his clutch perfomance was during the playoffs which don't factor in this award. So, I'll go with Nick Swisher, who I think led all rookies in homers, with .236/21/74. His buddy Crosby put up .239/22/64 last year when he won ROY.
AL Cy Young: Mariano Rivera. He put up the lowest ERA(1.38) and WHIP(0.87) of his illustrious career this season. Combine that with 43 saves and 80k's in 78IP and you have your winner. Although, I will admit that it will be tough for a closer to beat out a starting pitcher like Colon.
AL Manager: 91% Ozzie Guillen. However, I will make a case for Joe Torre who took the Yanks from .500(39-39) on July 1 to edge out the BoSox to take the AL East. The Yanks eventually finished only 4 games back from the ChiSox with 95 wins.
AL MVP: This really shouldn't be such a hyped debate. No DHer should win this b/c they don't play any D which is almost half the damn game. Granted, Ortiz was probably the best clutch/most feared hitter last season. He was to the Sox what Bonds was to the Giants when he won the NL MVP, but Barry was in the outfield with a glove on. Look at A-Rod's numbers this season .321/48/130 with 21SB. He's first in homers, first in SLG(.610), second in batting average, third in hits(202), and fourth in RBI's. Plus, he's made amazing plays at third base in only his second year at that position. This year's numbers destroy those he posted in Texas when he won the MVP a couple years back. If he doesn't win, I'll be livid.
I know, I know...I put a Yankee up for each of the awards. But, honestly, can you blame me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home