Saturday, January 29, 2005

bittersweet

I saw the movie "In Good Company" last night...it was pretty good...I thought the script had a few snags but the acting from Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace, and Scarlett Johansson really carried the movie. Its no "Garden State" but still quite enjoyable.
What I found interesting was how I reacted to Topher Grace's character whose name is Carter. He's the typical hard-working, successful, going-places, moving-up-in-the-world, clever, young guy who gets promoted to head up the magazine dept. of a huge global corporation. He's married, has his own house, drives a Porsche...what drew me to that character is how he has seemingly established his identity in the world at the age of 26. With me just turning 25, I feel this internal pressure for some reason to set my mark...I don't know where this personal expectation is coming from...I didn't have this before...the thing is, I'm capable of achieving this...there are opportunities in my company I can take advantage of to begin to...do my own thing. As I was watching the movie, I got this strong urge to place everything currently in my life on hold, leave it all for now and go...
On the other hand, I don't believe that lifestyle would satisfy me in the long run...Carter had it all but realized it wasn't what he really wanted either...what overwhelmed him and shifted his paradigm was how simple his fellow worker's life was...that the fulfillment he longed for wasn't found in his work but in who he was as a person...I kept thinking,"Do I want to go and do my own thing for awhile only to discover what I know now?"
I don't think I've been internally torn to this degree during any other movie...
This Jimmy Eat World song was playing on my way home:
All I can say
I shouldn't say
Can we take a ride?
Get out of this place
While we still have time
You want to take a ride?
Get out of this place
While we still have time
Yeah, while we still have time

1 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

jump - you never know where you'll land. praying for you bro.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home