Thursday, September 29, 2005

search to belong

I finished reading this book "The Search to Belong" last month which was a miracle in and of itself. It was recommended by my buddy Adam, and I was quite fascinated by what the author had to say. The book made a lot of sense...the author uses these four different "spaces" (public, social, personal, intimate) to convey how people engage with others in terms of establishing relationships and building community. I was thinking about this last night especially in the context of my new environment...I find myself having a hard time thus far adjusting to the new social aspect of living here. I feel this huge void caused by leaving pieces of me back in California...family, friends, Kristi, Adam, Aaron, Emiline, Shan, Mike,Jen...there, I had all four of my spaces filled...friendships and relationships that I've invested in were right in front of me and around me. And here, its tough just to engage in the social space. I've been trying to keep busy so that I don't feel the twinge of loneliness. Maybe thats part of the problem too.
But I'm sure all this is due to the fact that I've just moved here and everything. I have no doubt it'll pick up in the near future. It better...
I had dinner with a good friend from WG the other day. My friend Cammie was here on business and had some time to hang out. It was great to see someone I knew...its amazing how much the intimacy of a familiar voice in person can make you feel so at home. That was cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home