Thursday, February 03, 2005

beautiful

I'm not a big sports movie fan, but I saw the movie "Coach Carter" the other day mainly b/c I heard it was very good, and I was very impressed indeed. The fact that it was from the here in the bay area made the movie a little more real than other sport films. You just can't beat the ol' underdog/against the odds/boys transforming into men/individuals learning to depend on each other kind of story...I'm sort of a sucker for films like that.
But what what really grabbed me was a quote by one of the characters towards the end. Through out the movie, Coach Carter keeps asking his players,"What are you afraid of most?" / "What is your greatest fear?" Nobody on the team gets what he's talking about but during the best scene in the movie, one of the kids stands up and delivers this quote:
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is
that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our
darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be
brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not
to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the
world. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within
us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our
own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do
the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence
automatically liberates others."
I found myself blown away when I heard this. The quote was written by Marianne Williamson. It comes from her book, A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles." Its been burning in my mind ever since. I still haven't processed it yet. I'll post my thoughts on it when I actually have some.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home