Wednesday, December 07, 2005

New Orleans Mission Trip

I am so excited about this! Next month, from January 12-16, I'll be going on a service trip with a NYC church called the 411. We'll be doing whatever we can to help some local churches down there get back on their feet especially at a time when most of the immediate help has gone away. This trip means so much to me...its hard to express in words its significance. Not only will I have the opportunity to radiate love in such a distressing and seemingly hopeless situation but I know that, upon seeing such devastation and tragedy and perseverance, it'll change my world view as well. And taking part in a compassionate venture such as this will only strengthen my faith and stretch me as a person and as a follower of His. Also, having the chance to serve with a community that so desires to glorify God thru not only teaching and music and fellowship but social action as well has been such a prayer of mine since arriving to New York. I can already feel the subtle changes something this incredible is having on me...and I can't wait for that part of the journey to begin.
All of us on this little adventure welcome any and all support from you. We are asking everyone to pray for us as we get ready to go. Your prayers and encouragement are much needed and appreciated. If you are able to contribute financially, its important to know that every little bit helps. (You can email me, and I'll provide further details with regards to that.)
As I prepare personally, I find God's heart in the prayer of St. Francis:
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;

to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home