Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Ship of relations

As I grow older, I really begin to see that quantity of friendships doesn't necessarily equate to quality of relationships. In this post-college/pre-career phase, I'm convinced that being personal is far more important than being popular...and not only important to me but significant to the other person as well. Now, maybe this might seem obvious to others but its only been on my radar in the last year or two. Maybe its out of selfishness, but I like to invest the majority of my time and energy into developing existing relationships instead of making new ones. Not that I want to totally disregard any new people I meet or stop meeting folks altogether...but I've felt that in the past, I've allowed the desire to know lots of people to inferfere with getting to know some people better. I can picture right now a couple of friendships that have withered because of lack of nourishment and time and contact. Unfortunately, I don't know what I can do to fix those or even if they're fixable...but I would like to preclude it from happening again. I admit this might not be the best way to go about it but, at least, its a start. I was with some good people the other day hanging out and would hate myself if I caused any friendships in that room to wilter away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home