Monday, December 12, 2005

THE WEEKEND / part one


Wow, what an incredible few days it has been...easily the best days here in New York thus far. You can't beat good times with good friends especially in a place like this.
Thursday
Last weekend started Thursday night when Aaron flew in. After some time wandering around the Upper East side for awhile, we found the hostel which was aptly named "The Wanderer's Inn". After a tour of Times Square and Rock Center, we hung out at Scruffy Duffy's for some food and spirits and a hot bartender chick.
Friday
I got three hours of sleep before I met up with Adam Friday morning at 6:30. It was snowing pretty heavily as we hooked up with Aaron in Manhattan. After they got settled in their hostel, we checked out St.Patrick's Cathedral. I was glad we woke up in time for Mass which was really cool to experience. (Let me just stop here and say that throughout all our travels and destinations this weekend, we always take into account periods of sleep.)
Then we headed to Times Square to stand in line for Broadway show tickets. We wanted to see "The Producers" but halfway in line, this chick comes up to Adam and starts telling him about this other play called "In My Life". I was only half-listening because I hadn't heard about this particular show before. So, Adam turns and starts to explain to me that the show is about a guy with Turretts who falls for a girl who is OCD. As soon as I hear Turretts and OCD, I burst into laughter...I mean, tears are coming down...the whole thing sounded hilarious. The chick continues to expound on the play which further incites laughs from the 3 of us. Needless to say, it sounded right up our alley and we were sold.
The MoMA had free Friday evenings so we hung out there for a bit. I didn't know this but they have the actual "The Starry Night" by Vincent van Gogh there. I was absolutely blown away...this is one of my favorite pieces of art and it was right there!
The show started at 8 but we get there a little early. Heres a bit of advice for you: front row seats at a Broadway show isn't as good as front row seats at other venues. We had some very interesting seats but I was glad we got to move to some better ones. I thought the show was brilliant and amazing but, being how it was my first Broadway show I don't have any point of reference regarding this sort of thing. I was thrilled that we stuck to our guts and chose this one(besides the other show we wanted had sucky seats).
It was over about 10ish. We proceeded to get in line for SNL at around 10:30. There was only one person in line(Arlene) and so we were number 2,3 and 4 which was pretty sweet. A little while later, Jerry Seinfeld came out. Now, I don't like the show at all but Aaron loves it...so it was funny that I saw him and he didn't. (Thats what he gets for liking Seinfeld.) Oh and earlier in the morning, we saw Conan walking down NBC studios as well. (Well actually, Adam and I saw Conan. Aaron missed him too. Again, thats what he gets for liking Seinfeld.) Bill Hader came out to talk for a bit...we said hello to Tina and Jeff as they left...Seth and Amy were trying to stay undercover as they got into their get-away car. This was the shortest line this season mainly due to the cold weather but I wasn't too cold...my feet actually felt like they were on fire inside my sleeping bag...hahaha. Everyone told me that the wind was killer but I didn't notice anything in my "cocoon of warmth" as I like to call it...hahaha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home