Sunday, December 12, 2004

Acts

Christian community...what does this actually mean? How does it really look like? What does it consist of? Who's a part of it? When does it happen? "Community" is a word that gets tossed around a lot and has very different connotations attached to it. Is it the same as church or even congregation? Is it something we do or something we are? It has been weighing on my mind as of late and was sparked by an awesome experience I was a part of recently.
I gathered together with some of my closest friends for a special time of just being...in each other's lives, in the presence of our Lord...it was a moment where I felt spiritually linked with my King, just overwhelmed by His Spirit and in the same breath, I was connecting with my brothers and sisters there too...there have not been many times in the past couple of years where I have been engaged in worship with others at such a level. Everyone there was worshiping with the same focus, same mindset, as one body, in the same Spirit...prayer, praises, meditation,sharing just overflowed from from the joy and peace in our hearts...I sensed the prodding and nudging of the Holy Spirit, the faint whispering of God through the words spoken, thoughts shared and at times, in the midst of the silence and stillness. It was a welcomed respite, a time to rest more than anything...resting in our Father's arms, in the love of the people in the room. It was freeing and liberating...for that period of time, I was able to put aside the worries and distractions of life. As the evening unfolded, one singular thought kept coming in and out,"Isn't this what its about?" That night gave me such dynamic picture of community- coming closer to our Lord as we grow closer to each other. I believe that aspect is at the heart of community, the foundation of church...allowing God to completely overwhelm my life so that He overflows into lives of my friends, my co-workers, my family, my sphere of influence.
Community is vital to our faith. God himself is in constant,complete communion with his Son and his Spirit. Whenever the early church is mentioned, its always in the form of community. The disciples' lives were always criss-crossing and intersecting with each other. They lived as a sacrifice to God as well as to each other. It is something I desire to become, to take part in, to live...Its been my prayer that I will be used as a catalyst/an agent for true community, to look for opportunities to open my life, to pursue God in all his ways... to be active in lives around me, constantly aware that this experience is a shared one, not a a solo one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home