Friday, January 27, 2006

I think its safe to say that humility is not an easy trait to possess. However, I daresay that its a harder thing to grasp than patience or kindness or generosity. It seems that, in regards to the latter qualities, one can simply pray for them and, with the right intentions, begin to nurture them to fruition. But as for humbleness, its something I must do myself (with the Lord's help of course). Throughout the Bible, there are two actions that deal with this: either God humbles man or man humbles himself. Both carry great implications with the former having grave consequences as well. As I read the words "humble yourself" over and over throughout the Scriptures, I'm horrified at how much pride permeates so many facets of my life. How easy it is to tear someone down and place myself before them...to not think of myself greater or better than someone else goes against my sinful predisposition.
But I realize its something that must be an integral part of who I am if I truly intend to follow His example of complete humility. I'm convicted by this verse in 1 Peter: All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because,"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." It reminds me that humility doesn't come naturally but must be purposefully embraced. In the same way that I put on clothes before I leave the house(thankfully), I gotta be intentional in the same manner as I interact in humbleness with those in my world especially the ones I find difficult or disagreeable. For me, I think it starts with seeing each and every person God places in front of me as a child of His, to slow down and remember how much He loves them...
"For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." Matthew 23:12
This is my birthday resolution this year; to be lifted up by the Lord as I lift up others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home