Thursday, December 22, 2005

transit strike

So the dedicated workers of NYC's mass transit went on strike Tuesday causing havoc that permeated every fabric of the city from the people to the economy to the traffic. Crowds of people walking across the major bridges in an attempt to get into the city, people waiting in 2-3 hr lines in 20 degree weather to get onto the Long Island Railroad, drivers picking up strangers to meet the 4 person carpool restriction to get into Manhattan....needless to say, it was insane the last few days. This morning I had to take a $10 cab to get to the train which took me to Penn station. Then, I had to walk a good 30 blocks to get to work on time and will do the same thing again to get home (I kinda got lost on the way home but thats a different story). Fortunately, the union decided to end the strike late this afternoon and I still don't really know what they got accomplished by walking out on their jobs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home