Saturday, November 05, 2005

welcome to the suck

Couldn't help but think of Chase as I was watching Jarhead. Each time Swoff would say something, all I could see was Chaser up there on the screen. Prayin' for ya bro.
That said, Jarhead was a great movie. That tagline says it all really, not to mention the brilliant use of Kanye's "Jesus Walks" as the anthem. Everyone that I liked was in the film; Jake Gyllenhaal(Donnie Darko/the Good Girl/Proof), Jamie Foxx(Ray/Collateral/Any Given Sunday),Peter Sarsgaard(Garden State,Flightplan) and Sam Mendes who directed one of my all time favorites, American Beauty, as well as the way underrated Road to Perdition. You put all that talent in a movie and sometimes things go wrong. But in this case, each of them provided strong performances, even Oscar worthy.
By the way, I saw the extended preview of King Kong and...okay,wow! There were about three scenes that just filled me with tremendous glee...can't wait Peter Jackson, can't wait! I really hope that this doesn't disappoint.
Speaking of disappointing movies, I was watching Matrix Reloaded yesterday and realized that it isn't as bad as had thought when I stood in line 3 hours to see it. Its definitely not Matrix caliber but also not as horiffic as my first impression led me to believe. Below is a list of my top 5 disappointing films in no particular order:
1. Reign of Fire- How do you mess up sweet looking dragons vs. the military of the future and Christian Bale?
2. Matrix Revolutions- We stood in line all flippin' night to watch a truce between Zion and the Machine World? This is what happens when you sacrifice plot for cool scenes of flying people fighting.
3. Van Helsing- You can't fault Wolverine for this one or even super hot Kate Beckinsale. Blame this one on director Stephen Sommers of the Mummy franchise.
4. AVP- How do you make a PG-13 movie from two R-rated franchises? They're from space! Let them destroy each other however they like!
5. The Village- And I'm a Shyamalan fan. It was too predictable and drawn out. Horrible casting of Adrien Brody who is overrated by the way. Not even Bryce Dallas Howard's superb debut coud save it.
But my all-time cinematic disappointment/movie that made me wanna hurt someone is and forever will be Star Wars:The Phantom Menace. I can go on all night about the poor script and bad pacing but all I really need to say is JAR JAR BINKS?! What the heck?! I'm done...I don't wanna get worked up tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home