Thursday, September 29, 2005

public transportation

I'll tell you what I don't miss is driving! Gas prices...ha, it doesn't concern me anymore. Getting around in NY is so easy and much more advanced than in Cali. I get the unlimited MetroCard, and I'm set to go. I kinda like taking the subway...it provides the opportunity to do several things. One, it usually takes me somewhere away from school and classes...thats always welcomed. The F train dead-ends 5 minutes from my place. How sweet is that? Two, it allows me time to think and contemplate. I just turn up the music, sit back and run things thru in my mind. The last thing is more symbolic than anything really. I think coming from a mode of transportation that is more individualistic makes me see commuting by subway a little differently than people who do this all the time. Back home, I would usually drive everywhere by myself...not all the time, but usually...come to think of it, it now seems strange to be on the same road with hundreds of people yet be completely separated. Not so here...subways are more communal. Not that I know anyone...but I think thats besides the point. Its like for those few moments between stops I'm a part of someone's life...and the man sitting over there is involved, however small, in my day today... and for those brief moments in time, our lives intersect...more often than not, its probably by chance but one never does know.
I find subways, trains and buses in NY to be organic seemingly taking a life of its own...that as a passenger, I partake in that experience and as I exit, I leave an imprint, be it infinitesimal, on those still engaging.

1 Comments:

Blogger kristie said...

hi danny! welcome back to this world o' bloggin but even better: welcome to the east coast. glad you are soaking up nyc... it really is a world all it's own. i just might have to pay you a visit one of these days...

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home