Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Da Vinci "controversy"

I finally bought the paperback version of "The Da Vinci Code" last night; I figured I should read it for two reasons: 1) so that the novel wouldn't be ruined by the movie and 2) to see what all this "controversy" is about. Its been 3 years since Dan Brown came out with the book, and I've heard all kinds of things about it especially from the Christian community. And now with the film coming out, mainstream Christianity is up in arms about it again, trying to counter it with clever campaigns like "Da Vinci Didn't Convince Me" created by Evangelical Christian publisher Tyndale House or books like "The Da Vinci Deception" written by Erwin Lutzer (an Evangelical minister in Chicago). This is what Lutzer says about the whole thing: " 'The Da Vinci Code' is the most serious assault against Christianity that I have ever witnessed."
Oh, really? Thats a bit dramatic for a piece of literary work categorized as FICTION, isn't it? I'm no expert but I think that means it isn't true by definition. And this whole thing about the book being "the most serious assault against Christianity" is ridiculous! I can think of a few things (Pat Robertson, politicizing God, mega-church mentality, Christian "culture", apathy towards social justice) that might warrant that top spot, Mr. Lutzer. And besides, won't all this protesting and counter-attacking actually give it more credence and viability? I honestly would not be reading it if there wasn't so much angst and hostility towards it. Just take it for what it is, a highly entertaining novel that contains some religious and historical elements. I can't fathom why Christians are so threatened by fictionalized novels? Like my buddy Ric said, it takes alot to place that many inaccuracies in one book; so let's not neglect the fact that the book is flippin' FICTION!
Oh yeah, aren't the "Left Behind" series fiction as well? I'm sure they are not that much more accurate than "The Da Vinci Code". Here's yet another example of Christians propagating trivialities while missing out on the larger picture of God's kingdom.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger danny said...

When you say,"...not everyone has enough reason to consider it to be fiction", I think thats a bit misleading considering that the author has categorized the novel as fiction so, essentially, Dan Brown has enough reason. I can see how many people can and rather view the book as something more than that but when the Christian community is this uptight about it, such a response gives it further credibility than it really deserves. I just think there are much more important issues for Christians to take on than novelized fiction.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home