Thursday, March 16, 2006

Ronnie D and his gee-tar




Ronnie played a full set of his tunes last night at the Knitting Factory and though he admirably won't admit it, the guy is good...I mean really good. As in, I'd buy his CD if he had one (imagine that, people still buying CD's and not downloading them on iPod's...); I'm very picky about purchasing CD's and I'd only buy music from about 2 or 3 musicians who I know personally (I'd buy your CD, Shan...and Frank Prats' too as well as Mike's) so that's saying alot. But then again, its coming from me so maybe its not saying so much. I don't know...but what I do know is that I didn't feel like I was watching someone perform necessarily...it resembled, in my mind, more of a conversation with his music being one side of that conversation and my reactions to them the other. Its a weird way to describe it, I know, but I liken it to friends naturally interacting with each other, one sharing his story and the other actively taking it all in. Even though some of the songs were kinda heavy, his mannerisms and presence eased the tension of the words and one can see the genuineness of emotion behind the chords and lyrics. I think the song that most resonated with me was "January" which conveyed a sense of undeniable uneasiness that is always intertwined with the changes of life and the passing of loved ones.
So in other words, the boy has skills. And can I just mention how amazing it is to be part of the worship that he leads musically every week. Sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home