Friday, February 25, 2005

Academy Awards

So the Oscars are upon us. There's no clear cut favorite like there was last year with LOTR:ROTK and Peter Jackson. This is actually the closest race there has been in a few years. So, here are my picks for the only categories that really interest me:
Best Picture: Having not seen Million Dollar Baby yet sorta limits my opinion on the film. But I believe its gonna take it despite recent controversy. Being released this late in the season allows it to be fresh in everyone's mind. Plus, by being the only one of the top 3 that isn't a biopic, it benefits from being different from Ray and the Aviator. I really like the Aviator , but I felt that it was a bit anticlimatic and just sorta faded towards the end.
Best Actor: I will be greatly surprised if Jamie Foxx doesn't win this. I know him and Leo both took home Globes, so its gonna be neck and neck . I'm not the biggest fan of Leo, but I think his work here is much better than in Gangs or even Catch Me. However, I gotta think Foxx's degree of difficulty with acting, singing, and playing will give him the edge here. In addition, there might be residual effects from his supporting role in Collateral that could be in his favor if some people were on the fence.
Best Director: I think Scorsese will get this one. Hopefully, I'm wrong in the Best Picture category because Best Director usually accompanies Best Picture. I have this thing against any Eastwood film after Unforgiven. Scorsese should get a sympathy vote as well based on his past Oscar experience.
Who I can't wait to see is Chris Rock. He's been saying he has some special stuff in store for the show so I'm hoping he won't disappoint.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave. said...

Hey Danny, a couple of good calls there. I'm pleased Jamie Fox got the Oscar. I've still to see the movies but hopefully that will happen over the next two weeks.
Dave.

2:52 PM  
Blogger kristie said...

what happened? no more blogging for you? :(

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home